Health and Wellness
Wellness used to be thought of as the absence of illness or disabilities; however, it has progressed to the state of thriving instead of just surviving, regardless of illness or disability. Here at the GCS Health and Wellness department, we combine our skills and knowledge to offer services and activities to enable our individuals to thrive in physical, social, emotional, intellectual and environmental wellness.
Health & Wellness Consultations are individualized appointments that include our GCS individual, support staff and parent(s) and/or guardian(s). Health & Wellness goals can focus on assisting with making healthy food choices, incorporating exercise or movement, tackling stress and anxiety and managing health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. Small achievable action steps are created and tracked to encourage the individual to make healthy lifestyle choices that become a way of life. Support is given by the Health & Wellness consultant, support staff and parent(s) and/or guardian(s) to create an environment of success.
H&W Mobility Consultations are aimed at identifying any aspects of life that could be improved. Areas include physical movement, ADLs (bathing, dressing, and toileting) meal prep, chores, money management, medication management and leisure activities. Goals are then developed based on the individual’s needs. Collaboration between the individual, support staff and parent(s) and/or guardian(s) will determine how goals will be met. Progress will be tracked so that goals can be modified and updated as necessary.
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
– World Health Organization
Health & Wellness Activities
- Yogabilities: Yogabilities is a form of Yoga geared for individuals with disabilities, starting at their current level of ability and moving forward towards meeting achievable goals utilizing a team approach. Benefits include improved strength, balance, range of motion, mental & physical energy and socialization, as well as aiding in stress reduction & relaxation.
- Arts & Crafts: Arts and Crafts is a great opportunity to create fun projects and meet new friends. Arts and Crafts promotes fine and gross motor skills, hand eye coordination, decision making, self-esteem, creativity and socialization.
- Life Skills: Life Skills is designed to improve knowledge and skills necessary for everyday living through activities focused on vocational skills, home and community safety, money management, cooking, social skills and homemaking skills.
- Dream Horse Stables: Dream Horse Stables is locally owned and operated in Westmoreland County by Kelli Cinibulk. Kelli has provided GCS with an opportunity for individuals and staff to come on out to the barn to get an up-close and personal experience with horse life! Individuals are able to visit and observe, feed, water, brush, leadline and on special occasions saddle up and ride a GCS horse.
- Bowling: GCS provides bowling now at 3 locations: New Great Valley in North Versailles, Hillview Lanes in Greensburg and Nesbit Lanes in Plum
- Other activities: include Wii games, lunchtime movies and various virtual activities through Zoom links.
- Creative Music: Creative music offers musical activities that encourage movement and creativity through singing, dancing, playing instruments and fun musical games. Creative music is a great opportunity for self-expression, physical activity, making friends and having fun.
- Advanced Arts for the Community: Our GCS Advanced Arts involves arts, crafts and activities that benefit the community. Individuals are able to create and express themselves in a variety of ways while creating donatable craft projects. Benefits include self-expression, stress reduction, socialization, gross and fine motor coordination and charitability.
- Paint and Sip: Paint and Sip is a time of laughter and fun as we create fun and flavorful mocktails and follow a step- by-step painting.
- Brain Gym: Brain Gym is a series of movements and activities used to activate both hemispheres of the brain, encouraging an enhancement of the brain performance. Benefits include improved memory and focus, lowered stress and stronger balance.
- Outdoor Discovery: Outdoor Discovery is aimed to take our individuals outside, utilizing inventive outdoor activities for not only exercise but to spark creativity! Activities will be scheduled and held at different locations throughout the Westmoreland and Allegheny Counties to keep the experience fresh and new. Benefits include creativity, balance, functional mobility, socialization, and critical thinking.
- Coming Soon: GCS is proud to announce that there is now a new property located in Tarrs, PA where we will be holding a variety of activities!!
Annual GCS Events
- Biggest Winner Challenge
- Adopt-A-Highway, Fishing Contest
- Annual Picnic, Thanksgiving Event
- H&W Event
GSC Health and Wellness Team
BS in Physical Education/Exercise Physiology, Certified Yoga Instructor, Certified H&W Consultant, CPR Instructor, H&W Coordinator
Certified OTA, BA in Fine Arts; Mobility Coordinator
Licensed PTA, Certified Nutrition Coach/H&W Consultant, Mobility Coordinator